Sunday, October 14, 2012

Other Worldly Blog Chain

This month's prompt: 
Otherworldly at Absolute Write

Ghouls, ghosts and things that go bump in the night. Old Hallows Eve, Dia de los Muertos and Halloween. October is the month where the veil between our world and the other things. Therefore, this month is about those things beyond our world, be they scary, funny or anything in between. Write wherever the prompt inspires you, fiction or non-fiction, prose or poetry. Do try to keep things at a PG-13 level, though.

My Otherworldly Weirdness!


Who Art Thou?

"Who's there?" I insist.

The danger looms.

"I am that from which you have escaped many times," the low, raspy voice insists.

"Who are you?"

"I'm not here to harm you, only to help."

The kind sentiment puts me at ease. "You must know my dilemma." I ponder this aloud, attempting to unravel the mystery behind such a gracious offer of support.

The voice continues after a brief chuckle, "Ah, but you see, your dilemma is no mystery to me. By your escaping me, consistently and with much success, I can guess with relative surety what torments you. Your persistence, your tenacity, and your insistence in continuing escapades throughout my lands gives me a very clear picture of who I'm dealing with."

I wonder how I might respond to this interlude. I expect it to be brief. I will make an attempt to flee after I satiate my curiosity.

The dark figure, now looming over me, reaches out and lifts my chin. Red eyes glow brighter than rubies and burn into mine. They unleash a fire into my core, singeing my heart, and encasing its outer layer in a hard, blackened crust.

I feel hot tears fall down my cheeks, yet the curiosity lurks.

The figure speaks a final sentiment before it fades away, "Let your hardened heart heal on the inside. In time, you will understand my purpose in your life. For now, know that I am.


If you enjoyed this theme, please visit the other participants:


pyrosama:  (YOU ARE HERE)
xcomplex:  (post link here)

bmadsen:  (post link here)
bearilou:  (post link here)
CJMichaels:  (post link here)
Damina Rucci:  (post link here)